Ceremonial Cacao Drink
Here’s the recipe we use when we serving the cacao drink at ceremonies. Be sure to read the contraindications before consuming.
- Full Ceremonial Dose: 7oz water & 2oz cacao per person
- Pinch of chili/cayenne pepper
- Honey, Agave, or other sweetener to taste
- Optional: Cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla to taste
The ratio of cacao to water is simply a matter of the consistency you like. If you want it thinner, simply add more water.
- Start with the cacao block. Chop with a knife into fragments about 1/4 inch or smaller in some dimension, so it softens easily in hot water.
- Heat water with chili to just before a boil. It should be just too hot to the touch
- Add the cacao shavings
- Use a whisk to stir the brew until all the chunks are blended in.
- After the cacao has ‘dissolved’, add whatever sweetening and spices you want.
- It’s helpful to have a spoon or stirring stick to keep the consistency even as you consume. The cacao will settle at the bottom over time.
- Cow’s milk is said to block intestinal assimilation of flavanoids so if you mix with cacao, it will dampen the effects. If you want that flavor, use alternate milks, such as coconut milk.
- Until you know cacao, we recommend initially drinking no more than 2/3 of a full 2 oz. ceremonial dose. If there is no stomach queasiness at all, drink the remainder slowly, 45 minutes to one hour later. Some will get ill from all that bitter if they drink a full 2 oz. all at once. Consume the remaining 1/3 according to how you feel.
- Some folks may get nausea or mild headache 5-6 hours later even going slowly, so consider going easy at first.
- Some, but not all, with low body weight may consider taking less.
- Cacao, being the strong bitter it is, can stimulate the liver to detox. It is mildly laxative in higher doses. Those needing dietary detox or those on a clean or raw diet, take less the first time and see how it feels.
What to Expect
Many will feel the cacao immediately, and all will get a buzz within 20-30 minutes or so. There is usually a strong focus of energy around the heart and the feeling of expanding. Focus is usually easier. You will have 30-40% more blood flowing to your brain with this Cacao. Your skin will have almost double the oxygenation so touch is different if your intent or heart is involved. This heart connecting also contributes to Cacao being called an aphrodisiac.
One ounce per person is enough for many inner activities and may bring on deep emotional release. It is certainly sufficient for open-heartedness. Deepest effects last 4 to 5 hours, depending on focus of attention. Some prefer taking a full dose as two portions, several hours apart, or just as you begin to taper from the first ounce or so – workable for day-long focus holding. Everyone is different.
Make sure to drink lots of water after!